Mellow Parenting is a one-day-a-week programme which is funded by Counties Manukau District Health Board to support families who have significant relationship or parenting problems with children aged under five.
Following an assessment, families living in the Counties Manukau area can attend Mellow Parenting free of charge.The programme has a proven track record of engaging hard-to-reach families and helping them improve their relationships with their children, by building on their own strengths to learn to parent well.
Mellow Parenting is suitable for families where there may be domestic violence, child abuse, mental health problems or difficulties between immediate or extended family members.
The programme’s benefits include helping parents to improve their emotional and physical well-being, helping them develop confidence to parent well and to raise confident children.
Mellow Parenting is run by facilitators and runs over 14 weeks. During parent-only sessions, children are cared for by childcare staff. This year the programme has been run at Randwick Community House in Manurewa.
Programme participants must:
- Live in the Counties Manukau District Health Board when first referred, either by an agency or by the family themselves
- Be the main caregiver of at least one child or children aged under five at the time of referral
- Be aged over 16 years on the day of consent
- Want help with parenting, be willing to participate in the group and not be referred as a result of court order
The programme includes:
- Free transport to and from the weekly group sessions, if clients are unable to provide their own
- Shared lunch times for children, parents and staff
- Structured parenting workshops
- Individual analysis of video-taped family mealtimes
- Activities, outings and “homework” to develop and reinforce new parenting skills